Rain happens! Sometimes there’s nothing you can do about it, your plans just have to pivot if you’ve planned some outside activities during a rainy day, or if the weather unexpectedly switches on you.
June has swept in, and with it comes the annual rainy season in Cancun & the Riviera Maya – But don’t let the rain dampen your spirit! There’s no such thing as a bad day in paradise, just different types of fun to be had.
The rainy seasons in the Caribbean and Mexico run from June 1 to Nov 30. While most days are sunny and beautiful, there is a higher chance of showers than during the colder winter months.
So – We’ve compiled a terrific list of the top 10 rainy-day activities for YOU to do in Cancun and Riviera Maya. We’ve rounded up our Top 10 Rainy Day Activities that ensure non-stop enjoyment, come rain or shine! From relaxing spa days to local museum experiences to natural and historic art exhibits, there’s an adventure waiting for everyone.
Read on for all the rainy day activities:
(And save this blog so that you can come back to it and refer to it should you ever find yourself in Cancun or Riviera Maya on a rainy day.)
And always remember: the best journeys in life are filled with unexpected twists and turns.
Let’s embrace the rain!
- Starting our list off STRONG with some amazing Cenotes – there are thousands of cenotes in the Mexican Caribbean. What’s a cenote, you ask? It’s a fresh-water pool/sanctuary. Most of these magical locations can be found in the Yucatan Peninsula. The natural beauty of the cenotes is wonderous. You’ll find both open-air and cave cenotes throughout Mexico.
So! When you’re aiming to avoid the rain, we recommend considering going to Aktun Chen, Rio Secreto, Dos Ojos, & Mayamar.
The cenotes, filled with vibrant colors, aquatic wildlife, and intriguing plant life, are truly stunning areas to explore. This can make for a really fantastic day visit, and might even turn into one of the most memorable parts of your trip!
- Up next on our list: Have a Spa Day at a nearby resort! Most of the resorts in Mexico have serene spas, with all different types of treatments offered including massages, facials, or body scrubs. If they are booked up on the day it rains, or if you decide the services are too expensive, keep in mind that Playa del Carmen has a multitude of spas for very reasonable prices: The favorites on our list include: Quinto Elemento, Veronicas Massage Gold, and Spa Okom.
Plus…who doesn’t love the opportunity to relax and pamper yourself in luxury? Get a relaxing massage or other treatment while you’re on the coast of a beautiful paradise – beach locale. If the rain gets you down, use the day to spoil yourself at a nearby resort spa. Something you may not have made the time to do otherwise!
We like to look at rainy days as just another opportunity to add some delightful (even refreshing) experiences into our itineraries. Some spas even have deluxe packages for you and your partner to get a couples massages. So treat yourself to a little luxury! You deserve it.
- Everyone knows that when it rains, it pours! Well, then it’s probably time to go shopping – Cancun and Playa both have indoor and outdoor malls that are covered from the rain. A few solid options include: Puerto Cancun, La Isla Shopping Village, Quinta Alegri, and Paseo del Carmen.
Often, when you’re on vacation, you’re so busy enjoying the beach that you forget to go pick up some souvenirs for you and your friends and family! Use this rainy day as an ideal opportunity to pick up a few gifts for your loved ones or just yourself. By visiting one of the local shopping areas, (whichever is closest to you), you’re ensuring that you’re still having a spectacular day, despite the weather outside.
- Try an Experience: Take a Cooking Class! – Come back home from your vacation with new skills! Wow your friends with the flair for flavor you picked up in a cooking class in Riviera Maya. Even if you don’t retain everything they teach you, cooking classes can be a really enjoyable and unique experience to try. You come away having tried a delicious new dish while simultaneously being entertained and enriched! The chefs are usually extremely knowledgeable, and altogether it can be so much fun!
Look into some of the cooking class options offered in: Cancun, Puerto Morelos, Playa and Tulum. Some additional options are El Pueblito at Mayakoba, CoCo’s Playa del Carmen, Mexico Lindo in Puerto Morelos, and Aromas of Mexico in Cancun.
- Take your significant other or the kids to the 3D Museum of Wonders – Located in downtown Playa del Carmen, this museum is an AWESOME experience and a good excuse to get some stellar pictures!
Think interactive, think unusual, think optical illusions! This museum is one of a kind and so very immersive. You’ll find yourself questioning reality with some of these fascinating riffs on visual imagery. There are plenty of cool photo ops and altogether outstanding art throughout the museum. You’ll absolutely want to send these pics home to the loved ones – they’ll laugh and be amazed with you!
Don’t skip your opportunity to turn a rainy day into an impressive time at the 3D Museum of Wonders!
- Purchase tickets for the crew for the Museo Maya – Located in the Cancun hotel zone, Museo Maya has exhibits on Mayan history and art, as well as one of the Yucatan’s most important collections of Mayan artifacts.
Don’t overlook the opportunity to explore the archaeological site San Miguelito and see some ancient ruins. A rainy day doesn’t have to determine the tone of your trip! Explore the ancient culture and history of the tropical destination you’re staying in and – maybe – appreciate the area even more so!
- Catch a Movie at the Theatre – Cancun and Playa del Carmen have movie theatres showing films in both Spanish and English, (sometimes with subtitles.)
Fill up some time in your afternoon by seeing a movie at one of the nearby movie theatres. This has always been a perfect rainy day solution – no matter where you are!
Tickets are never too expensive (Usually about 30-60 pesos!) – However, the concessions might be more than you’re expecting. (What’s a movie showing without some snacks, though?) The theatres are often quite nice inside with beautiful décor.
- Reserve a Professional Photographer – You don’t have to be celebrating any specific life event to have a photo shoot! Sometimes it’s just nice to have some professional pictures taken. It’s one of those things you’re not going to remember to do in your day-to-day life when everything is busy. So, while you’re on vacation, take advantage of the highly skilled professional photographers that resorts hire for their guests.
Whether it be a couple shoot, a family shoot, or just some professional shots of the kids. It’s totally up to you! But a rainy day is a perfect excuse to look your best and capture some photos taken by an impressive professional. You’ll be so glad you did!
- Spend your day at an Adventure Park – Most parks and the activities at them are open even when it rains, as long as there is no thunder/lightning.
Ziplining and ATVing in the rain can be a really fun experience!
If you’re an adventurer through and through, or love to try new things, take this rainy day to go snorkeling, rock climbing, repelling, or trying out a hanging bridge. Explore the Native Park and take in the rainforest. (Don’t forget your GoPro!)
Some parks to consider are: Xplor, Selvativa, Native Park Playa del Carmen, and Aventuras Maya. (Be sure and check to confirm activity availability before going.)
Enjoy the breathtaking caves, paths, and scenic views. The Native Park is an excellent opportunity to learn about the history and original traditions of Playa del Carmen.
The jungle is still exciting, even in the rain.
This could be your chance to really take it all in.
- Spend your day at an Art Museum in Tulum! SFER IK has 2 gorgeous museion locations: One is located on the beach road and the other is in Uh May.
Support highly-talented artists and take in the creative works displayed at SFER IK. With year-round, unbelievably astounding exhibitions – you’ve never seen anything like what SFER IK has on display.
You could encounter anything from natural materials used in artistic projects that you’ve never seen before, highly forward-thinking and mindful intentions behind the works, and even experiences where you yourself can try your hand at ceramic work, painting, and more. Come to SFER IK if you are open to outside-the-box ideas and eye-opening approaches to creating.
Also since you are already in Tulum – be sure not to skip Mystika Immersive: An immersive art experience that gets you up close and personal with Pepe Soho’s work.
This art museum in Tulum enables its visitors to be blown away by the mind-boggling digitally immersive visuals. You won’t want to leave! Transport yourself to what feels like another dimension inspired by Mexico’s culture and gorgeous scenery.
Got any more ideas? We’re always ready for more fun at Cabelleros Vacations.
Contact us today and let’s start planning your unforgettable vacation, rain or shine!
Need Help Planning Your Mexico Vacation?
Time to vacation with waterparks! Book your dream resort now. Feel free to contact us with any resort booking questions or activity recommendations for the local area that you may have. We know that planning a trip can be overwhelming, so we’re here to guide you and answer all your questions!
With over 150 different all-inclusive resorts across the Riviera Maya alone, it can get overwhelming trying to plan your vacation. Lucky for you, we’ve spent the past 14+ years visiting and booking this wonderful country. Our team is available to answer all your questions about booking your next Mexico vacation or to find the perfect resort for you and your family. Contact us today for more information about working with our team on your upcoming all-inclusive vacation. We can’t wait for you to go to Mexico and experience the beauty for yourself.